Is MSM equally effective whether taken with or without food?

Topics dealing with how to use MSM in its different forms

Is MSM equally effective whether taken with or without food?

Postby charlie_hartford » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:59 pm

:?:

Hi all!

Question: If the MSM milligram amount taken is the same, is a given MSM dose equally effective, whether the MSM is taken with or without food?

I ask this because in addition to my taking Opti-MSM (which I started taking yesterday), I have also been previously taking a systemic multi-enzyme product called "Zymitol", which has a lot of MSM in it.

Being a systemic enzyme formula, that means that the Zymitol (which as I said contains a lot of MSM) is being taken WITHOUT food, on an empty stomach.

Asked another way, would the MSM in the Zymitol taken without food on an empty stomach be just as effective milligram-for-milligram as the MSM in the Opti-MSM taken with food?

The bottom line is that I need to determine if I should be fully factoring in the MSM taken in the Zymitol into my daily intake total of MSM, ie, my daily intake total of MSM would equal what I take in as Opti-MSM, PLUS what I take in from the Zymitol, even though I am taking the Opti-MSM WITH food, and taking the Zymitol WITHOUT food.

Thanks,

Charlie
charlie_hartford

Postby pcnetwrx » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:12 am

All things being equal, then yes, the two would be additive whether taken with or without food. But if there are other factors that would not make it equal, such as excipients in the Zymitol, or other additives that might make the MSM less effective, then you may not get the full benefit of the MSM that has the excipients or other additives.

In most cases, we recommend taking MSM with food in order to reduce any stomach distress that some people see.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby charlie_hartford » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:42 am

:)

Great, thanks for your prompt replies!

FYI, the contents of Zymitol are:

- MSM

- Protease (enzyme)

- Bromelain (enzyme)

- Papain (enzyme)

- Amylase (enzyme)

- Lipase (enzyme)

- Serrapeptase (enzyme)

- Fulvic Acid

- Magnesium Citrate

- Rutin

Zymitol is: all vegetarian, excipient-free, vegetable capsule -

Offhand, I don't see any MSM-inhibiting elements here;

Since I am already "warmed up" to the MSM via the Zymitol, I have decided to start my Opti-MSM dosing at 4 grams/day, all taken before 2 PM, and I will raise it from there as my body permits.

More MSM status to follow later!

Regards,

Charlie
charlie_hartford

Return to MSM Uses - How to Use