Is animal MSM acceptable for topical use with humans?

Topics dealing with how to use MSM in its different forms

Is animal MSM acceptable for topical use with humans?

Postby pamlam » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:38 pm

We are a small company who manufactures and sells a muscle/joint balm for people. We are ready to buy 34# of MSM powder for our next 200# batch of product. Is there any reason NOT to use the less expensive animal MSM powder?
pamlam

Postby pcnetwrx » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:53 pm

The MSM that we chose to market as MSM for animals also can be used by people and is in fact sold that way by many, many others. We chose to say that it was for animals for a couple of reasons:

1) It is from China and is purified using a method that is generally recognized as not being quite as good as distillation which our US products use. So some people have concerns that it's from China (no matter what method of purification might be used) and others may have concerns about the specific purification method. Because of those perceived concerns, we felt marketing it for animals would be a better option in spite of the fact that others sell it for human consumption.

2) We wanted a product to compete with other vendor's animal products at around the same price that the other vendors were selling it for. And we wanted to provide directions for animal use on the label.

However, both of these reasons are marketing decisions. I would personally have no problem taking this product myself based on the quality of the product that I have seen over the past year or so that we have carried it.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Return to MSM Uses - How to Use