How do you take your MSM...?

Topics dealing with how to use MSM in its different forms

How do you take your MSM...?

Postby Greg » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:48 pm

I usually mix two teaspoons with a quarter teaspoon of ester c as well as a teaspoon of Tang. I mix it with about two ounces of hot water and stir and then toss it down. Most times I can't even taste it.
That seems to work ok for me but I would be interested in how others take theirs.
Greg

Postby Grant » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:15 am

I used to just take it straight in water and shoot it like it was a bad shot of liquor, but I found that Cranberry Juice masks the taste quite well. The ocen spray type that is loaded with sugar REALLY does a great job.

When you say you mix it with Ester-C, do you have the powdered form? What does that taste like? Does it have a bitter after taste like MSM?
Grant

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:18 am

Hey Grant...
Yes...I use the powdered ester-c and although it is bitter when tasted by itself the sweetness of the tang masks it as it does the MSM.
I've tried cranberry juice a few times. The MSM seemed to accentuate the tanginess of the cranberry juice.
Greg

Postby pcnetwrx » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:45 pm

I can easily take the MSM in a tall glass of ice water (sort of like iced tea). It has a little bite to it that I actually like. But for convenience I take it mixed with my liquid vitamins (Ultra Body Toddy), which I don't like the flavor of at all. So I mix the whole mess with cherry juice from Trader Joe's which does a fine job of masking the taste.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:04 pm

A tall glass of iced MSM....hmmm...? I think i'll pass on that.
It sounds like too much of an aquired taste to me. :)
Like Scotch Whiskey.
Greg

Postby Bev » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi ,
I'm putting 1/2 teaspoon of ester-c,1/4 tsp. Glucosamine,1/2 tsp.Chondroitin Sulfate and 3 tsps. of msm in a glass and desolving it in about 1 cup of hot water then feeling the glass the rest of the way up with cold water and adding ice.It does have a little bite to it.I am going to try mixing it with the tang. Thanks :D
Take care
Bev
Bev

Postby Greg » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi Bev
That sounds like what Kerry does.....only with more bite.
Do you get a lingering aftertaste with that?
Greg

Postby Bev » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Hi Greg,
No I have never had an aftertaste.Im now taking 3 tbs of msm in the morning an 3 tbs in the evening + all the other stuff with it and have never had an aftertaste.Although its not the best tasting stuff at the time I'm drinking it.I forgot the tang again today when I went to the grocery store.I dont think the msm is helping with my memory ,hahaha. :lol:
Take care
Bev
Bev

Postby Greg » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:19 pm

You might be on to something Bev...?
I'll have to try that next time I forget a birthday or something.
It's not really my fault....it's the MSM. :lol:
or maybe I'll just get a slap on the head cause she knows better.
Greg

How to Use and Dosage

Postby chonde » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:02 pm

Gracious! Appears most are taking MSM in larger doses than I am. I use the horse MSM Pure and I put the powder into an empty capsule. I take 1 capsule twice a day.
chonde

Re: How to Use and Dosage

Postby pcnetwrx » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:29 pm

chonde wrote:Gracious! Appears most are taking MSM in larger doses than I am. I use the horse MSM Pure and I put the powder into an empty capsule. I take 1 capsule twice a day.

Each person is different as well as what each person is desiring to achieve. At 230 pounds, I take a little over 2 teaspoons a day but my wife at 110 pounds takes 4 to 6 teaspoons a day. Neither of us has arthritis (that we know of) but I have TMJ pain that I notice if I go more than just a few days without my MSM.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Aquired Taste

Postby j_brown » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:57 pm

I have been taking Opti-MSM flakes in Smart Water (electrolyte enhanced) for over 5 years. I take from 10,000 - 20,000 milligrams a day. The somewhat bitter taste seemed easy to adjust to, for me. I am concerned that I may be taking too much. However, if I drop below 10,000 mg a day, I notice an increase in my knee pain. I have an inflamatory condition due to an auto accident from 9 years ago. I was unable to walk for 6 months and my legs were horribly swollen. MSM has been the only thing that has made a real difference. I still can only walk short distances. I can walk most of the day, cleaning house, etc. I have no more swollen legs and a huge decrease in pain. Will I always need to take as much MSM as I do now?
j_brown

Re: Aquired Taste

Postby pcnetwrx » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:57 pm

j_brown wrote: Will I always need to take as much MSM as I do now?

I would say that is likely. My wife, a woman that weighs about 105-110, takes about the same amount of MSM that you do and she isn't even dealing with much pain. She likes that amount for the energy that it seems to give her, although she does have some shoulder pain that she deals with.

On the other hand, I take less than half that amount and I am twice her size, but the only pain that I notice is some TMJ pain if I stop taking the MSM long enough.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby Greg » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi j_brown..... welcome to the board.

I would tend to agree. At least that's the way it is for me.
If I stop taking MSM for about three days I start to notice a little shoulder pain returning which is mainly why I take it.
I take two or three teaspoons a day and that seems to work great for me.
I also notice that the occasional stiffness in my hands that I used to have is history.
I think that if you tried taking less and the pain returned then you have your answer.
You can always try reducing from time to time to see if anything has changed to allow you to take less but I certainly wouldn't be concerned about taking that dose for however long you may want.
Greg

Return to MSM Uses - How to Use