Too much loose stools

Topics dealing with how to use MSM in its different forms

Too much loose stools

Postby Odar1330 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm

When I increase dosage from 1/2 teaspoon x 2 daily to 1 teaspoon x 2 daily. Is this normal? I have been trying to increase but each time I do, I get really bad stomach cramps and then really loose stools. If i stay on 1/2 teasppons I am ok with nice formed stools.. ( i know yukky subject.. but need to ask!) I suffer from AC osteoarthritis / type 2 diabetes and a whole host of autoimmune disease!
Odar1330

Re: Too much loose stools

Postby pcnetwrx » Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 am

I can't really say that it is "normal". Is this pure MSM like we sell? I can't find you in our database based on your email address. If it is store-bought MSM, then it may be the additives that are causing you problems. You could try to go up more slowly with smaller added amounts each time. If you are also increasing your vitamin C at the same time like we advise, that can cause loose stools so you may not want to increase your vitamin C in that case.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby Odar1330 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:28 pm

The brand i use is absolute MSM from Western Australia and I take 1 tspoon of Vit C powder with 1 Tspoon of MSM.. but have since dropped the MSM to 1/2 tspoon and keeping Vit C the same.
Odar1330

Postby pcnetwrx » Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 am

If the vitamin C powder is pure, that is quite a bit to be taking. It would be around 5000 mg and we advise topping out at 3000 mg. That could be the main reason for your loose stools. We advise a 1 to 4 ratio of vitamin c to MSM topping out at 3000 mg (just under three quarters of a teaspoon) of vitamin C. So for a teaspoon of MSM per day, that would be just under a quarter teaspoon of vitamin c. At three teaspoons of MSM per day, you would be maxed out on the vitamin C and shouldn't be taking more than the three quarters of a teaspoon, according to our guidelines.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby Odar1330 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:43 pm

Hi All - so I have now reduced my Vitamin C to just 1/4 teaspoon for 1.5 Teaspoon of MSM ... twice daily and so far have not have any gastric problems.

Thank you all so much for your help. :mrgreen:
Odar1330

Return to MSM Uses - How to Use