Noticing agitation starting with MSM at 4 grams a day

Report your personal experiences with MSM whether good or bad

Noticing agitation starting with MSM at 4 grams a day

Postby charlie_hartford » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:17 pm

:?

I am noticing agitation starting with MSM at 4 grams a day -

I have now taken the Opti-MSM capsules for 3 days so far, as follows: 1 gram total on Tue. 2/14, then 4 grams total on Wed. 2/15, and then 4 grams total on Thu. 2/16, always taken before 2PM, and already I am noticing a very unpleasant chronic agitation condition.

I know from reading the post archives here that this kind of reaction to MSM would make me an obvious candidate for a much lower starter dose of the Opti-MSM. The lady at PC NetwoRX recommended that I not stop the Opti-MSM cold at this point, but rather for me to keep taking the Opti-MSM, but now at just 1 gram a day for a week.

I am baffled because I had thought that the MSM in the Zymitol systemic enzymes product that I had been already taking would have prepared me to start the Opti-MSM at 4 grams a day, but then again, the actual quantity of the MSM in the Zymitol is not explicitly stated on the Zymitol label, but is rather just stated as being a part of a proprietary formulation.

==> Question: What is my agitation reaction to the Opti-MSM supposed to be indicating? I see lots of others report here about having this same reaction. It does not seem to be a detox reaction, but rather seems to be a tolerance level reaction instead. Does the Opti-MSM agitation reaction typically go away by one falling back to much lower doses and then doing a more gradual dose titration upwards, or is it just the wrong supplement for me at ANY dose and that I just don't need MSM at all?

I am concerned that at this rate, I will never get to a high enough therapeutic dosing level of Opti-MSM, or perhaps optimal Opti-MSM therapeutic dosing levels are very different for different people, and some people just need much less Opti-MSM to get the same therapeutic benefit, and are thus more intolerant of the Opti-MSM at higher (unnecessary) doses.

For example, in the book entitled "Flood Your Body with Oxygen", by Ed McCabe, he states that:

"The most success we've seen is at 500 mg of MSM for every 30 pounds of body weight twice a day."

For a 150-lb person such as myself, that comes out to an optimal Opti-MSM therapeutic dose of 5 grams total a day, which is a much lower therapeutic dose than the Opti-MSM megadoses of 30+ grams a day that I have heard about.

BTW, this "oxygen" book has the best 2-page write-up of MSM & MSM's benefits that I have ever seen anywhere. FYI, Oxygen and MSM seem to have a beneficial synergistic effect with each other.

==> Question: Has anybody ever posted here about how they went thru the experience of where they started the Opti-MSM at 4 grams a day like me, only to soon notice that they got the same agitation reaction that I did, so they lowered their Opti-MSM starter dose way down to just 1 gram a day, and then week-by-week (adding 1 gram per day and holding at that dose for a week) eventually built up to an effective & beneficial Opti-MSM dosage that is more in accord with Ed McCabe's MSM dosing rule of thumb which I cited above?

Confused,

Charlie
charlie_hartford

more info...

Postby charlie_hartford » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:54 pm

I am reading the Archived Messages, and I see where the following question comes up about caffeine use and MSM detox agitation-type reactions;

FYI, I am NOT a user of caffinated products, except for chocolate occasionally.

I am an ex-cigarette smoker.

I am also naturally a hyper anxious type of person, which has been a lifelong core problem of mine, so perhaps I am experiencing an MSM detox reaction after all, who knows -

Thanks,

Charlie
charlie_hartford

Postby pcnetwrx » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:58 pm

We have heard time and time again from people already taking other MSM, and then change to our pure MSM, that they hit detox immediately. Clearly this is due to other formulations not being pure MSM like ours is, making our MSM more potent.

I am not quite clear about the term "agitation". Is that a feeling like you can't sit still and you're "bouncing off the walls"? As you stated, that's usually due to past use of stimulants including caffiene, cigarettes, or any other stimulants that have built up in your tissues. Remember, while detox is unpleasant, it does mean that things are happening, and that's good. The people who start out having the worst detox reactions are the ones that see the most benefits from using MSM.

I, myself, had a very strong and uncomfortable detox reaction when I started taking MSM by taking too much at only a half teaspoon (2 grams) a day. And after backing off, I was still able to work up to 16 teaspoons a day, so how bad the initial detox is, is not an indication of how much MSM you will eventually be able to take.

The key to detox is to just back off, but not stop, and let things stabilize. Then work up slowly. We advise not adding more than another 2 grams per day each week. So start at a gram a day and stay there for a week. Then go to 2 grams a day and stay there for a week. Then add another gram or two per day and stay there a week, etc. Always wait for things to stabilize before trying to add more.

If you are patient, I think you will be pleased with the end result.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby charlie_hartford » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:03 am

:)

pcnetwrx, thank you for all the great information!

You should really consider posting your own personal MSM usage story right here, every detail, chronologically step-by-step from the beginning to current, seeing as how it would be very educational & encouraging for MSM newbies like myself.

For example, I found it most interesting that you had a very difficult detox healing crisis reaction to the MSM at just 2 grams/day to start with, and yet you ultimately progressed up to a max MSM dose of 16 tsp/day. That just blows my mind, and gives me much encouragement!

==> Question: If I may ask, what exactly were the difficult MSM detox reactions that you had at your MSM startup, and how long did it take for your first MSM detox reaction to subside?

As for myself, it is looking more & more like I was (& still am) having an uncomfortable detox healing crisis reaction to the Opti-MSM that I did for 2 days at 4 grams/day. I have since fallen back to just 1 gram of Opti-MSM per day, and I will stay at that dose level until my current detox healing crisis has passed; FYI, my current MSM detox healing crisis reaction consists mostly of an aggravation of my main problem condition of generalized chronic anxiety, but it does also now seem to be starting to wind down a bit, however.

I do realize that having a negative detox healing crisis reaction is a good sign of the value & necessity of the treatment or supplement causing such, if one eventually starts to notice some net improvement in one's condition from that treatment or supplement.

==> Question: When did you first notice the first signs of even some very modest improvement in your problem condition(s) due to your MSM use?

Regards,

Charlie
charlie_hartford

Postby pcnetwrx » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:06 am

The story of my first experiences with MSM are on the old archived messages. The link to my first message about my MSM experience is here:

http://www.msm-msm.com/oldbbs/messages/2.html

It is true that the exact things you are dealing with may initially get worse as my stomach problem did, and then get significantly better. It's as though the MSM is "attacking" the problem areas you are dealing with.

As far as results, some came very quickly within a couple of weeks, while others took months of steady and constant MSM use.

My initial detox reaction resolved within about three days after reducing the amount of MSM I was taking.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Return to MSM Personal Experiences