Goiters

Report your personal experiences with MSM whether good or bad

Goiters

Postby Grant » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:12 am

Has MSM helped anyone with a goiter? I would very much like to hear if anyone has any input on this issue, as my girlfriend recently was diagnosed with a multi nodular goiter - and I encourage her to take MSM for general health reasons- not necessarily for the goiter but if it does help, it would be awesome!

your input is greatly appreciated!
Grant

Postby AgnesT » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi, I just recently had experience with a goiter. Quite a shock! I don't think the MSM helped, as I was taking it before and after getting the goiter, but I wanted to share with you what helped me. I started taking 2 kelp tablets (for the iodine) with each meal, and I massaged the area as often as I would think of it. I kneaded it between my thumb and index finger knuckle. I don't know which worked, but it is gone now. I hope that helps.
AgnesT

Postby Grant » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:46 pm

AgnesT wrote:Hi, I just recently had experience with a goiter. Quite a shock! I don't think the MSM helped, as I was taking it before and after getting the goiter, but I wanted to share with you what helped me. I started taking 2 kelp tablets (for the iodine) with each meal, and I massaged the area as often as I would think of it. I kneaded it between my thumb and index finger knuckle. I don't know which worked, but it is gone now. I hope that helps.

Really? You didnt need to contemplate surgery at all? I was doing a ton of reserach regarding thyroidectomy and what not, but at this point, Id rather try something like Kelp tablets than something as invasive as surgery. Im trying to find any kind of method that I can to help my GF as she is quite self-concious about it.

Could you please give me more pecific information regarding those kelp tablets (brand name, where you purchased it from, etc.) ?and what kind of goiter you had? Was it a multi colloid goiter as well?
Grant

Postby AgnesT » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:53 am

OK, I may have had something totally different!! I am not at all familiar with multi colloid goiter! All I know is that one day I woke up feeling sore around my neck and finally noticed the lump at the bottom of my neck. I did a little research and decided it was a goiter. I did not see a Dr. I found some info on the web, including these posts:

http://www.askshelley.com/forum/viewtop ... ght=goiter

Too much Iodine can be toxic and can cause goiter also, but I suspected I was low rather than high. I also have very poor posture as Shelley describes. Frankly the goiter went away when I started massaging the area, but that may just be coincidence. The kelp I used is NOW brand 150 mcg.

I prefer to go the alternative medicine route if possible. I have had several ailments that have been poo-pooed by my drs that I have successfully treated on my own. Personally I would never consider surgery until every alternative was exhausted. There is so much info available to us now on the web that we could not access before!

Good luck!
AgnesT

Postby Grant » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:11 am

AgnesT wrote:OK, I may have had something totally different!! I am not at all familiar with multi colloid goiter! All I know is that one day I woke up feeling sore around my neck and finally noticed the lump at the bottom of my neck. I did a little research and decided it was a goiter. I did not see a Dr. I found some info on the web, including these posts:

Too much Iodine can be toxic and can cause goiter also, but I suspected I was low rather than high. I also have very poor posture as Shelley describes. Frankly the goiter went away when I started massaging the area, but that may just be coincidence. The kelp I used is NOW brand 150 mcg.

I prefer to go the alternative medicine route if possible. I have had several ailments that have been poo-pooed by my drs that I have successfully treated on my own. Personally I would never consider surgery until every alternative was exhausted. There is so much info available to us now on the web that we could not access before!

Good luck!

Wow AgnesT, that is some great information found here. Thank you very much! I see some posts regarding the massage technique too. At this point, anything short of surgery is a go for myself and gf.

Thank you for the time you took to share with me this site... i really appreciate it.
Grant

Postby AgnesT » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:05 am

Mine came back! I had quit the kelp and the massaging. So I am starting again. I will let you know how it goes.

Please post what you find that helps your gf, too. Thanks.

Here's another neat site about self healing:

www.curezone.com
AgnesT

Postby Grant » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:32 pm

AgnesT wrote:Mine came back! I had quit the kelp and the massaging. So I am starting again. I will let you know how it goes.

Please post what you find that helps your gf, too. Thanks.

Here's another neat site about self healing:

www.curezone.com

Yep, I sure will let you know what I find out. I feel like I've turned into her mom or something telling her to massage the goiter and take her supplements. She's always trying to avoid taking the MSM because she hates having to pop 20 pills - She says she will do it, and 5 minutes later, she is zoning off doing something else. I now know what my mother had to endure for all those years when i was a child..... ;)
Grant

Postby AgnesT » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:28 pm

I think it's the kelp that is doing it for me. It kept starting to swell, until I consistently took about 6-9 kelp tablets each day. No problems now. How about you all?
AgnesT

Postby Grant » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:17 am

AgnesT wrote:I think it's the kelp that is doing it for me. It kept starting to swell, until I consistently took about 6-9 kelp tablets each day. No problems now. How about you all?

Well.. i went a slightly different route from you original suggestion. I wanted to see what would actually work, and I just went the massage route first.... of coures, since my GF couldnt remember to massage it frequently ( i dont understand how she can remember 10000000000 different types of purses and shoes and all their nuances, but cant seem to remember to massage her neck!@#), and so I would end up doing it for her while watching TV or lying in bed or wherever I could have ready access to her neck area.... bottom line, it didnt really help.

So now, Im going to try the Kelp tablets to see how that fairs. She has a thyroidectomy planned for some time in March, but hopefully the Kelp tablets will shrink the goiter so she wont need to have the surgery.
Grant

welp

Postby Grant » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:31 pm

looks like the Kelp didnt work. My GF is now trying the chiropractor.

At this point and time, i think Surgery might be the only option left....
Grant

Postby veronica » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:11 am

Grant,

Unless the goiter is causing acute problems, I would be slow to have surgery, unless the doctor is talking about a biopsy. Many people have viral infections of the thyroid that pass in time -- months not days. Others live with goiters that don't cause problems for years.

This is an interesting discussion of the thyroid and endocrine system as a whole. http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/hac/oakridge/meet/orr/m12_02p3.html

By the way -- if you g/f doesn't like taking 20 pills, why not use the powder or granular form of MSM?
veronica

Return to MSM Personal Experiences