MSM and Alcohol Tolerance

Report your personal experiences with MSM whether good or bad

MSM and Alcohol Tolerance

Postby Grant » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:43 pm

I just wanted to provide some personal insight into MSM and alcohol tolerance. I feel that MSM is a detoxifying agent, and I've noticed that after taking a consistant amount of MSM on a daily basis, my tolerance for alcohol has fallen significantly.

I am a drinker of many different spirits, from wine to hard liquor, and I found that after consistant MSM usage has helped reduce my tolerance to Alcohol. As in, I used to be able to drink 10 - 15 beers over a duration of an hour or two to acheive a certain "buzz" , and now I can drink no more than 3-4 or without feeling like Ive crossed over the limit of that safe "buzz" that I feel.

Im slowly trying to ween myself off alcohol consumption ( for no other reason than personal health) and I feel that MSM is one of those agents that seriously helps in this process - and I dont "fiend" for a drink like I used to before I started taking MSM.

Another example is last night: I convinced my GF for the past few weeks to take MSM, and apparently she didnt realize the detoxifying powers of MSM, and after her usual "routine" of drinking, I ended up carrying her out to the car as she was out cold! :o She was mad at me for ruining her tolerance, but after a bit of conversation regarding the benefits, she too now finally believes me of what a powerful detoxifying agent MSM is...

I have a few friends who are trying to quit drinking, and I have been urging them to take MSM so that they too can actually ween themselves off of it, but they have yet to believe me. Hopefuly, after a few more weeks, I will be a non-drinker (or a very minimal one at best), and they can see the difference MSM makes!
Grant

Any further insight?

Postby veronica » Mon May 15, 2006 12:08 pm

Curious if anyone has further insight into MSM and effects of alcohol. I am cutting back my wine consumption. It slowly increased from a couple glasses with dinner to the better part of a bottle.

Some wine is healthful, but not that much. I took MSM a couple years ago and really thought it was great, but then ran out and didn't reorder. This time, I got 5 lbs, so I won't run out any time soon...

Looking forward to getting healthy, energetic and losing some weight!
veronica

Postby veronica » Tue May 30, 2006 9:09 am

I received my MSM order and don't know why I let so much time pass between orders! I love the energy and clarity I feel when I take MSM!

The first morning I woke after taking MSM, I had no morning stiffness. Nice! I started fast, because I'd taken it before without bad effects. I'm increasing my doseage, just to see if anything changes.

Has anyone taken MSM with Aloe Vera Gel? I also am taking that, as a digestive tonic.
veronica

MSM disconnects alcohol

Postby nanc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Initially I wanted to try MSM for my arthritis and found it to be a good pain reliever. After using MSM for a number of months I found I no longer wanted wine which I normally enjoyed a few times a week. Don't know when it happened but I no longer desire alcohol in any form. Never thought MSM was responsible for my disinterest until I read the comments in this forum. The timing is great now that tobacco is no longer affordable because alcohol is one of my triggers for tobacco. So I know for sure I must continue taking MSM!
The difference between saying the right thing and almost saying the right thing is a bolt of lightning and a flash of light.
nanc

Re: MSM and Alcohol Tolerance

Postby Publius » Thu May 26, 2011 1:56 pm

These are great stories about alcohol tolerance.

I am no psychologist, but I would say that at least some of the loss of desire for drinking is the subconscious decision you made to take MSM (or any supplement for that matter). Deep down inside you, the decision to put a positive chemical into your body to improve your health makes the idea of putting something potentially harmful such as alcohol seem counter-productive, even insane to your subconscious. Just a theory.

Regardless, great to hear it!
Publius

Postby ahousewifeyeahand » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:49 am

Even though it is a "positive" chemical (at least for many and myself) I can almost positively say it isn't subconscious. Since, there is a lethal dose that can kill you. With no chance of surviving. At least if you od on alcohol...you may have a chance of getting your stomach pumped, or your body could go into purging mode. If you od on msm that's it. No pumping no purging. :/
ahousewifeyeahand

Postby pcnetwrx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:33 am

Just a point of reference regarding overdosing on MSM: LD50 (the scientific lethal dose) could not be established because even the maximum dose of 20g/kg failed to kill any of the animals (n = 10); no adverse effects were noted (the maximum recommended dose in humans approximates 300mg/kg).

So for your average human of around 68 kg, that would translate to 1360 g of MSM in a dose being considered non-lethal. That's just under 3 pounds of MSM for the LD50 trial. 20 grams is the recommended dose according to this study though.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Return to MSM Personal Experiences