MSM questions - Itchy skin? Chewing tablets? Vitamin C?

Discuss MSM and its benefits or problems

MSM questions - Itchy skin? Chewing tablets? Vitamin C?

Postby bc8 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:00 am

Hi,

I am currently taking MSM tablets. I started taking 1 tablet per day (1000mg) at the beginning of March. I have been taking 2 tablets per day (2000mg) for the past few days, and I will start taking 3 tablets per day from today.

I was just wondering, could taking MSM cause itchy skin on certain areas of the body?

Just lately I keep getting a very irritating stinging/itchy feeling on my upper inner arms/biceps. I have no rash or bumps, I just have a horrible itchy sensation. It only started a week or two ago, and I thought maybe it was down to the MSM I have been taking? as nothing else in my routine has changed.

I am taking MSM for skin/hair and a trial for stretch marks. I have done some research and some people have noted slight improvement, so I am just giving it a go to see what happens. I also take other Vitamins and supplements too.

Also, this might sound like a silly question... but I find the MSM tablets a bit too large for me to swallow whole. So I tend to bite/crunch them into very small pieces in my mouth before swalllowing. Will this effect the MSM's ability to absorb/work?

Someone told me you need to take at least 1000mg of Vitamin C along with MSM to help it absorb, is this true?

Thanks
bc8

Postby pcnetwrx » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:44 pm

MSM can cause itching especially if you are not drinking enough water when you first start taking it or up the amount you are taking. It can also cause itching in places that are healing.

Chewing MSM will not impact how effective it is--it may actually make it more effective because it should dissolve faster and more fully.

We do recommend vitamin C, not so much for absorption issues, but because you need vitamin C for healing and most of us are deficient in it according to the latest studies. We recommend 1000 mg of vitamin C for every 4000 mg of MSM you take up to a maximum of 3000 mg of vitamin C per day. Of course, if you have issues with vitamin C or interactions like with some blood thinners, you should check with your doctor first.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby bc8 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:18 am

Hi pcnetwrx,

Thanks for your reply.

So is it best to drink plenty of water while taking MSM? I do try to drink plenty of water, due to my diet and other reasons... but often find it difficult. I try to drink at LEAST 1L a day, but would like to drink 2L's.

Thanks for clearing that up for me! I'm now taking 3000mg of MSM daily and 1000mg of Vit C.
bc8

Postby pcnetwrx » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:40 pm

It's fairly important to drink a bit more water than normal during the first 4 or 5 weeks of taking MSM because of the toxins that your body is releasing during the detox period. It's much better to flush out the toxins in the urine rather than have them come out through the skin (thus the itching). After being on MSM a while, you can return to normal on the water intake.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Hi,

Postby Christine Chu » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:06 am

I am new in taking MSM + Ester C. Since I am currently taking caltrate, is there any conflicts or should I make adjustment in my caltrate?

Thanks.
Christine Chu

Postby bc8 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:06 am

pcnetwrx wrote:It's fairly important to drink a bit more water than normal during the first 4 or 5 weeks of taking MSM because of the toxins that your body is releasing during the detox period. It's much better to flush out the toxins in the urine rather than have them come out through the skin (thus the itching). After being on MSM a while, you can return to normal on the water intake.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

I am aiming for about 2 liters per day (anymore than that and my head bangs like a drum!).

I am still experiencing the itching, but not as much as before. It is still there though and very irritating.
Along with the horrid itching/prickly sensations I find my arms get very overheated, they feel hot and like a slight burning.

I have checked, and there is no redness or rash. It all looks completely normal!
bc8

Re: Hi,

Postby pcnetwrx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am

Christine Chu wrote:I am new in taking MSM + Ester C. Since I am currently taking caltrate, is there any conflicts or should I make adjustment in my caltrate?

Thanks.

There should not be any interaction between MSM and caltrate so you should be able to continue normally.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby pcnetwrx » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:50 am

bc8 wrote:Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

I am aiming for about 2 liters per day (anymore than that and my head bangs like a drum!).

I am still experiencing the itching, but not as much as before. It is still there though and very irritating.
Along with the horrid itching/prickly sensations I find my arms get very overheated, they feel hot and like a slight burning.

I have checked, and there is no redness or rash. It all looks completely normal!

Two liters sounds like quite a bit of water--all that is really necessary is enough water to make a few more bathroom trips than normal.

Another factor on itchiness would be if you are taking pure MSM like we sell or not. Did you get it from us? Most MSM that you buy from stores has excipients used as flow agents to keep the MSM from clumping up--we do not allow those in our MSM.

You also previously mentioned taking Vitamin C--normal vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is acidic and if your body is already too acidic (coffee, soda, etc) can possibly worsen itching. In those cases we recommend Ester-C or calcium ascorbate which are both non-acidic forms of vitamin C.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby bc8 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 am

pcnetwrx wrote:
bc8 wrote:Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Two liters sounds like quite a bit of water--all that is really necessary is enough water to make a few more bathroom trips than normal.

Another factor on itchiness would be if you are taking pure MSM like we sell or not. Did you get it from us? Most MSM that you buy from stores has excipients used as flow agents to keep the MSM from clumping up--we do not allow those in our MSM.

You also previously mentioned taking Vitamin C--normal vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is acidic and if your body is already too acidic (coffee, soda, etc) can possibly worsen itching. In those cases we recommend Ester-C or calcium ascorbate which are both non-acidic forms of vitamin C.

I do like to drink at least 2 liters daily anyway, for my diet. But I have been slacking lately.

No, I didn't buy my MSM from yourself. I actually came across this site/forum by doing a search for MSM on Google.
I bought mine from a UK vitamin site (I'm in the UK). Here is the info they display about their MSM tablets:

Nutritional Information
Each MSM tablet provides:
Vitamin C 60mg
Methylsulphonylmethane (MSM) 1000mg

Allergen Advice
This MSM product is free from: Gluten, Nuts, Yeast, Salt, Sugar, Artificial Colours, Flavours and Preservatives.

SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS

Directions
Swallow one to two MSM tablets per day with food, or as directed by your health professional.

Ingredients
Methylsulphonylmethane, Dibasic calcium Phosphate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Ascorbic Acid, Stearic Acid, Coating: (Hydroxypropylmethyl Cellulose, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose, Propylene Glycol); Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide

I don't really know much about MSM, so I thought it was all the same and didn't matter who I bought it from. I am nearly out of my current lot, so I have ordered some more, but from a different place this time! (I ordered them 3 days ago).
bc8

Postby pcnetwrx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:56 am

That is quite the ingredients list. I realize buying from us and shipping to UK is pretty expensive, but if you can find pure MSM over there, I think it would be to your benefit for 2 reasons. First, it may reduce some of the problems you are seeing which may in fact be caused by these extra ingredients, and second, we have seen that the extra ingredients limit the absorption of the MSM so you are not getting the full benefit of what you are paying for and taking.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby bc8 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 am

pcnetwrx wrote:That is quite the ingredients list. I realize buying from us and shipping to UK is pretty expensive, but if you can find pure MSM over there, I think it would be to your benefit for 2 reasons. First, it may reduce some of the problems you are seeing which may in fact be caused by these extra ingredients, and second, we have seen that the extra ingredients limit the absorption of the MSM so you are not getting the full benefit of what you are paying for and taking.

Hi, you are right. Looking at it now... there are alot of added ingredients in those tablets. I'm nearly out of these ones, and bought some more from somewhere else the other day (before realising/finding out about quality of MSM) etc.
I just took a look at the ingredients in the tablets I am yet to receive in the mail: MSM (Methyl-sulponyl-methane) 1000mg, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Silicon Dioxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Stearate.

Not quite as much as the other ones. Maybe I've wasted my money then!

I have done a search on Google, the best I have managed to find was in powder form (they do the tablets, but are alot more expensive than what I had paid for the muli ingredient ones).
250g of Pure MSM Powder - Contents: 250g of 100% pure LIGNISUL MSM powder - nothing else.

Is that what I should be looking for? I have also seen OptioMSM advertised on this site... what is the difference between this and Lignisul? I have so far only managed to find the Lignisul MSM here in the UK.

Sorry to be such a pain and asking so many questions. I really do appreciate your time and help. Thank you
bc8

Postby pcnetwrx » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 am

I wouldn't know who to recommend over in the UK. Like I said, we carry the pure MSM--it's just the extra cost of shipping overseas from here in the US.

Lignisul and OptiMSM are just two different manufacturers of MSM. We also carry both of these brands in their purest form. Click the Home link at the top of this page to get to our main web site.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Return to MSM Forum