MSM interfering with menstruation

Discuss MSM and its benefits or problems

MSM interfering with menstruation

Postby c-kat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:16 am

I have now been on msm for a little over one month. I am up to 3000 mg a day. I have noticed many improvements, such as my acne has cleared up and my skin has a natural glow.

I also feel better mentally -- am taking fewer panic attacks etc.

I am taking this longer term for LGS/food allergies/candida/panic.

However, I have missed a period. And no I am not pregnant. This has never happened to me in my life. I have always been regular ever 28 days. I am now 6 days late already with no symtoms that it will be coming at all.

I did a websearch and found that a lot of other woman had this problem.

Why would MSM cause this? Should I stop taking it? Will it effect my fertility in the future?

I appreciate any insight you can provide.
c-kat

Postby pcnetwrx » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:24 pm

As you saw, I have heard of MSM affecting women's periods, but I don't know why. I can pretty much say that it doesn't likely affect fertility because we had our daughter after my wife had been on large amounts of MSM for quite some time. I realize that is a sample of one, but I have never heard of it impacting fertility one way or another and I would have thought I would have heard something about it by now if that was the case.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Re: MSM interfering with menstruation

Postby maryagendron » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 am

Hi There -

I just started taking msm and got my period very early. I did a search online about this and it is apparently very common for this to happen. I believe this is actually a very good thing, tho initially it worried me a bit. I realize in retrospect that this is likely just a cleansing reaction. I dated a naturopath once who said that one function of menstruation is to help clean the woman's system of toxins. Many women were very upset with the suggestion that their monthly moon is associated with some kind of cleansing process rather than solely for procreation, but I think that this makes sense. It's probably one reason why women live longer than men. If you think about it, blood is an amazing cleanser when we are wounded in other areas - it helps flush things out out that are not needed. I personally believe that is why some women have very long and hard cycles - either because their diet is poor so their bodies are bleeding for longer in an attempt to clean it, or because they have some emotional stress or imprint that their body is trying to rid itself of (I am a massage therapist and have worked with many sexually abused women, and many many of them seem to have extremely heavy periods, sometimes lasting up to two weeks).

I have a good friend who decided to go on a fast prior to trying to conceive her child, and she said that one of the cleansing reactions of the juice fast was that she had a lot of spotting and passed a lot of clots. She then was able to conceive a very healthy baby. She wasn't using msm, but this points to the idea that fertility increases after women's wombs have been cleansed through a period of increased bleeding.

I found in other forums where women were commenting on msm's affects on their cycles saying that eventually, their cycles evened out, sometimes after passing many large dark clots. Some women who had had very long hard periods of 10-12 days said that after this cleansing stage, their periods went down to 2-3 days and they had fewer cramps.

Since msm is a blood thinner, I think that it makes sense that women with thick blood, and the attendant congestion that comes from that, would finally have an opportunity to release the stagnant blood and mucus inside them when they take msm. If msm cleans out the sytem on a cellular level, then it is actually a very good sign that the menstruation participates in this.

I also got a breakout initially from taking msm, but i know that it is just the toxins coming out of my body, and that this is necessary and will rebalance itself. Many people also get headaches initially, though msm is indicated for help with migraines (migraines are also a thick blood issue).

Hope that helps! This is just my opinion. I am about to try conceiving soon here too and I feel msm is the perfect way to clean out my system for this. I am not worried about its effects on fertility or on my cycle. I will keep you all in the loop as my experiment with this progresses.
maryagendron

Postby pcnetwrx » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:51 pm

Everything you said makes sense. Thanks for contributing to this thread.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby maryagendron » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:15 am

FYI, Just conceived. Maybe the msm helped! I have so many friends, women my age in their mid-thirties, struggling with conception, so I was a little worried we might have to "try" to conceive. No such thing. After 1.5 months on msm we got pregnant accidentally, but happily. I am going to continue to take a low dose of msm.

I think it makes sense msm would be good for you because its a bitter, also.
maryagendron

Postby pcnetwrx » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for sharing your good news with us. There is no problem with continuing MSM throughout pregnancy--my wife did that although at a somewhat lower amount than she had been taking. But for others viewing this, I would not recommend starting on MSM while pregnant if you were not taking it leading up to the pregnancy.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Postby brownapple » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 am

Guys, I was taking 3000 mg of MSM and VIT C now I am late by a week . I am not pregant ! Should I stop MSM to get my periods back ? Or the body will adapt itself ? Please some one reply me .

Thanks...
brownapple

Postby pcnetwrx » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:28 pm

brownapple wrote:Guys, I was taking 3000 mg of MSM and VIT C now I am late by a week . I am not pregant ! Should I stop MSM to get my periods back ? Or the body will adapt itself ? Please some one reply me .

Thanks...

I can't really say if you would get your periods back or not, but 3000 mg of MSM is not that much. However 3000 mg of Vitamin C is quite a bit so you may want to cut back on that. That is the maximum that we recommend taking of the Vitamin C and only when you are on much higher amounts of MSM.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Return to MSM Forum