Trigger Finger

Discuss MSM and its benefits or problems

Trigger Finger

Postby Pat Phillips » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:44 am

Can anyone advise anything about "trigger finger." If is a kin to carpel tunnel syndrome. Something about the sleeve around a nerve in palm and one finger. Too much use of computer mouse.

Doctor has same ailment and will only prescribe a powerful ibuprofin. Aleve is satisfactory. Hot water soaks help.

Dr. Gott's newspaper column says to sleep with a bar of soap in hand, which surprisingly helps (Probably just the resting the hand is what really helps).
Driving a car is excruciating, as well as dicing veggies, writing, anything that must form a fist grip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have a good day and thank you.
Pat Phillips

Postby pcnetwrx » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:46 pm

I have also experienced this to some degree as well as some wrist involvement from pressing too hard during work. The only thing that has helped is to rest the hand for a few days. Placing my hand further onto the mouse helps somewhat, and a wrist brace from Walmart helps my wrist when I have to work.

I would also be interested to hear from others that have dealt with this successfully since my efforts help the situation but have not entirely resolved it.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin

Repetitive Stress Injuries

Postby veronica » Tue May 30, 2006 8:59 am

I find a combination of stretching and ice packs really help me. Supporting the wrist and palm on a flat surface, gently stretch the affected finger back and hold it a few seconds. Release and repeat several times. If more than one finger are sore, stretch them one at a time.

There is another stretch for the finger "webs", curling the index finger down and pressing hard while stretching the middle finger back. Hard to describe. Repeat curling middle finger while stretching ring finger, etc.

If your wrists are sore, rest the forearm on a flat surface and holding four fingers with the palm of the opposite hand, flex and stretch the wrist back, so fingers are vertical. Feel the stretch on the inner forearm. Relax and repeat several times.

After the excercises, wrap the hand/wrist in flexible ice packs and rest for 20 minutes. Repeat daily till symptoms subside. Continue the stretching excercises to prevent recurrence.
veronica

Return to MSM Forum