How long???

Discuss MSM and its benefits or problems

How long???

Postby pam » Fri Nov 18, 2005 1:18 pm

Kerry,
Just wondering how long msm could take to work? First 2 days I felt great.....but...now it's been 2 weeks and still the same. I take half a teasp. twice a day. I also take it with Emergen-c (vitamin c)....
I still have alot of faith in this and REALLY want it to work! The fibro
monster just doesn't want to let go. Please tell me it will be soon!!!
Thanx.............Pam
P.S........can I ask ....why you take msm?? Do you suffer from Fibromyalgia too?? ((just curious)) :?
pam
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 pm
Location: illinois

Postby pcnetwrx » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Unfortunately, it's really hard to say how long it might take to see results from MSM--some people see immediate results and with others it takes several months of steady use. You also may have to gradually go higher than the amount you are now taking.

No, I don't have fibromyalgia. I started taking MSM because of stomach problems, and found that it helped me in so many other areas that it's hard to remember all that it has done for me. And I will say that many of those other benefits came after taking MSM for several months. One of the main benefits that I give MSM full credit for was single-handedly getting rid of my systemic candida yeast problem while I was mega-dosing on it.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Arizona

how long???

Postby pam » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:53 pm

Thank you....I'll definately give it a go for awhile!
pam
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:33 pm
Location: illinois

Postby starsweet » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:36 am

pcnetwrx wrote:Unfortunately, it's really hard to say how long it might take to see results from MSM--some people see immediate results and with others it takes several months of steady use. You also may have to gradually go higher than the amount you are now taking.

No, I don't have fibromyalgia. I started taking MSM because of stomach problems, and found that it helped me in so many other areas that it's hard to remember all that it has done for me. And I will say that many of those other benefits came after taking MSM for several months. One of the main benefits that I give MSM full credit for was single-handedly getting rid of my systemic candida yeast problem while I was mega-dosing on it.


Hi,

Which brand of MSM did you take (Opti or Lignisul)? What were your candida symptoms and did you take anything else? How big was your dose?

Thanks.
starsweet
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:33 am

Postby pcnetwrx » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:34 pm

I worked all of the way up to 16 teaspoons of Lignisul per day. I did not take anything else except the Ester-C that we also recommend. I did do the candida diet for 2 or 3 weeks while also taking the MSM.

My symptoms were anxiety attacks, stomach problems, and a few other things, but the clincher for me that it was a candida yeast infection was the brown scaly-looking skin in the folds of my skin. I also had a history of antibiotic use that was more than a lot of people need to use.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Arizona

Postby c-kat » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:58 pm

pcnetwrx wrote:I worked all of the way up to 16 teaspoons of Lignisul per day. I did not take anything else except the Ester-C that we also recommend. I did do the candida diet for 2 or 3 weeks while also taking the MSM.

My symptoms were anxiety attacks, stomach problems, and a few other things, but the clincher for me that it was a candida yeast infection was the brown scaly-looking skin in the folds of my skin. I also had a history of antibiotic use that was more than a lot of people need to use.


pcnetwrx -I just started msm 2 weeks ago hoping for relief from similar problems - acid reflux, anxiety attacks and candida. How long did it take you to overcome it?

You said you were only on the candida diet for 2-3 weeks of it. Does that mean you were able to eat a more varied diet the rest of the time and the msm still took care of the problem?
c-kat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Postby pcnetwrx » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:04 pm

c-kat wrote:pcnetwrx -I just started msm 2 weeks ago hoping for relief from similar problems - acid reflux, anxiety attacks and candida. How long did it take you to overcome it?

You said you were only on the candida diet for 2-3 weeks of it. Does that mean you were able to eat a more varied diet the rest of the time and the msm still took care of the problem?


After I worked up slowly, I stayed at 8 to 10 teaspoons of MSM a day for about 3 months to kill the candida, and I believe it did take that long to do the job. As I recall, the acid reflux reduced pretty fast, but make sure you take the MSM at the beginning of a full meal (not a snack) to see the most benefit of reducing acid reflux. Reducing sugar also makes a huge difference for me.

I now eat quite a varied diet and only try to limit how many days in a row I eat things that tend to bother me, like too much chocolate or too many cooked tomato products. As long as I eat them sporadically, I can eat just about anything now.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Arizona

Postby c-kat » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:33 am

pcnetwrx wrote:
c-kat wrote:pcnetwrx -I just started msm 2 weeks ago hoping for relief from similar problems - acid reflux, anxiety attacks and candida. How long did it take you to overcome it?

You said you were only on the candida diet for 2-3 weeks of it. Does that mean you were able to eat a more varied diet the rest of the time and the msm still took care of the problem?


After I worked up slowly, I stayed at 8 to 10 teaspoons of MSM a day for about 3 months to kill the candida, and I believe it did take that long to do the job. As I recall, the acid reflux reduced pretty fast, but make sure you take the MSM at the beginning of a full meal (not a snack) to see the most benefit of reducing acid reflux. Reducing sugar also makes a huge difference for me.

I now eat quite a varied diet and only try to limit how many days in a row I eat things that tend to bother me, like too much chocolate or too many cooked tomato products. As long as I eat them sporadically, I can eat just about anything now.


Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I should take the msm at the beginning of the meal....was taking it mid meal...i will try that now. I am on medication for the reflux and am planning to go off of it as soon as it clears up with the MSM.

I've been taking the msm in divided doses - with my breakfast, lunch and supper. Why do you recommend against taking it with a snack?

How did you know 8-10 tsp was thr ight dose for you? and did you just scale back when your symtoms had gone?

Are you able to handle spices as well? The food I miss the most is Indian food and even if I could get to the point of eating it once a month that would be great

Thx
c-kat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Postby pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 am

c-kat wrote:Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I should take the msm at the beginning of the meal....was taking it mid meal...i will try that now. I am on medication for the reflux and am planning to go off of it as soon as it clears up with the MSM.

I've been taking the msm in divided doses - with my breakfast, lunch and supper. Why do you recommend against taking it with a snack?

How did you know 8-10 tsp was thr ight dose for you? and did you just scale back when your symtoms had gone?

Are you able to handle spices as well? The food I miss the most is Indian food and even if I could get to the point of eating it once a month that would be great

Thx


I never was a big spicy food eater so I can't really say much about that. But I do eat occasional Mexican food now without problems which did bother me very much when I was at my worst.

When dealing with acid, you need a significant amount of food to "bury" the MSM or the MSM itself may trigger some acidity problems. A snack just isn't enough food to do the job. However, I found that taking it the way I described mostly eliminates the acid problems I was having in the first place.

I went up that high because my nutritionist told me to. Then I did back off once I felt my problems were addressed to 1 to 2 teaspoons per day.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Arizona

Postby c-kat » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:10 am

pcnetwrx wrote:
c-kat wrote:Thanks for the advice. I didn't know I should take the msm at the beginning of the meal....was taking it mid meal...i will try that now. I am on medication for the reflux and am planning to go off of it as soon as it clears up with the MSM.

I've been taking the msm in divided doses - with my breakfast, lunch and supper. Why do you recommend against taking it with a snack?

How did you know 8-10 tsp was thr ight dose for you? and did you just scale back when your symtoms had gone?

Are you able to handle spices as well? The food I miss the most is Indian food and even if I could get to the point of eating it once a month that would be great

Thx


I never was a big spicy food eater so I can't really say much about that. But I do eat occasional Mexican food now without problems which did bother me very much when I was at my worst.

When dealing with acid, you need a significant amount of food to "bury" the MSM or the MSM itself may trigger some acidity problems. A snack just isn't enough food to do the job. However, I found that taking it the way I described mostly eliminates the acid problems I was having in the first place.

I went up that high because my nutritionist told me to. Then I did back off once I felt my problems were addressed to 1 to 2 teaspoons per day.


That makes sense..when I first started taking MSM I just swallowed it without water and found I had more reflux...I guess that is why.

Were you on medication for the acid when you first started taking the MSM? I am on a generic form of Zantac...and I understand that it can actually promote candida -- its weird as the meds seemed to have helped reflux but made my other candida symtoms worse.

I want to just do MSM as I hate meds....but want the symptoms under control before I do.
c-kat
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:39 pm

Postby pcnetwrx » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:56 am

c-kat wrote:Were you on medication for the acid when you first started taking the MSM? I am on a generic form of Zantac...and I understand that it can actually promote candida -- its weird as the meds seemed to have helped reflux but made my other candida symtoms worse.


Yes, I was on prescription Prilosec and didn't like the side-effects, nor the idea of being on any drugs permanently. I was able to get off of it fairly quickly after starting the MSM but I don't remember exactly how long it was.
pcnetwrx
Site Admin
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:02 am
Location: Arizona


Return to MSM Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron